It really depends on how big you want it to be - if you were just using it to store stuff and your vehicles you could probably get away with a 24' x 24' Stick built garage. Usually your plans will give you options for 1 or 2 stalls. If you wanted a workshop or something similar in your garage you might want to think about a 24' x 32' which is what I'll be building soon - I hope - more on that later too. If you want a three stall or bigger garage or need a lot more room for whatever, I would really recommend looking at the pole building type. It gives you a lot more options span wise, and the larger buildings are more cost effective then the standard lumber framed garage.
So first you want to figure out what kind of garage, then you'll need to find the survey of your property unless you are 100% sure you aren't anywhere near your neighbors property. If you don't have a survey I would recommend you get one. They run $300-1000 (mine was $750) but it's vital if there is ever a question from your codes, or your local government.
Next you should check with your local government - town clerk, codes office etc. to find out what kind of restrictions there may be on you type of construction and distances you have to maintain, for example it's suggested that I stay 10 feet from the property line, some localities don't allow pole barns. Obviously this is good to know ahead of time.
Next post on How to Build a Garage will be on site concerns and grade. In the mean time Check out some pretty good books from amazon.
No comments:
Post a Comment